On-line study group

TOPIC:

Message from Goliath 19 Jan 2014 19:42 #6281

• Joan
  • Joan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 50
Goliath on Reincarnation received by James E. Padgett on November 25, 1916:

I am here, Goliath.

I have been present for some time and have listened to your conversations on the various sects who are expecting a great teacher, and others who look for a reincarnation, and if it were not so serious to the welfare of mankind, it would be very humorous. But the matter is too serious to deal with in a humorous vein, and I will say a few words as to the utter falsity of both of these beliefs.

There will appear no such great teacher as is expected. Of course, many may appear on earth claiming to be such a teacher, and they may declare some moral truth that may be beneficial to mankind but these teachings will not be such as these people may expect a great teacher to make known and the result will be that if the world had to depend on such teachings, it would be very little if any better than it now is, for there is only one course of truth and in order for any great teacher to teach such truths, he necessarily will have to have a knowledge of such truths. And here I want to say that there is only one means of learning such truths and that is through the help of Jesus Christ and his followers, who know these truths and the Holy Spirit that speaks to all men if they will open their souls to its silent voice of truth and love.

So I say that these people who are expecting some earthly teacher to arise and come to them with a knowledge of truth will be greatly disappointed - for it is impossible that any man will ever come in some mysterious and god-like way be endowed with this knowledge.

The souls of these people are longing for the truth and not having a knowledge as to how it may come about are willing to conjure up in their minds some being that may possibly burst on the world and enlighten them in those truths for which their souls are longing and wishing. No, they will never in all time and eternity learn what they so anxiously desire from any great teacher of the kind that I have named and they expect.

As to the others who are equally misguided, and who believe that their salvation or future condition of happiness and perfection depends on reincarnation, I must say that they are now and will be disappointed just as will the first class that I mention.

This doctrine of reincarnation is a false and misleading one and will never enable any man or spirit to live the second time in the body as a mortal.

It is so utterly absurd that it is astonishing that men can believe that such a thing can be and besides, if they will only think seriously for a moment, they will realize that there is no necessity for man to live again on earth, for the surroundings and things that prevent the progress of man to perfection are so detrimental to his progress that it would not assist him one particle in acquiring such progress to have to undergo a second incarnation.

When the spirit leaves the body, its possibility for progress then becomes greater than ever existed on earth, though some spirits for long ages do not take advantage of such possibilities, yet they exist, and earth life can afford no means equal to them for making this progress towards what these people call Nirvana.

Some day the truths will become so plain and easily understood by mortals that these beliefs will of their own weight, and I mean weight that absurdity gives them, that they will cease to exist.

You may be somewhat surprised that I write on these subjects, but you must know that I am an Angel of the Celestial Heavens and have a work to do, and being present, I requested the privilege of writing and it being granted, I did so. I know what Divine Love means and what progress means, as I came from the lowest hells and found no necessity for reincarnation, and you may be assured that if my condition of suffering and darkness could have been gotten rid of by reincarnation, I would have reincarnated centuries before I was relieved of my awful condition.

I have met spirits who said they believed in the doctrine, but strange to say, none of them had ever been able to reincarnate though they persisted that they felt assured that other spirits had who were just in that condition that permitted it, and that they would when they became in a condition that was suitable, but I have noticed that these spirits never got in that suitable condition, but progressed in the spirit world and now say that they were mistaken and are thankful that there is no such thing as reincarnation. Well, the race will die and a new race will arise on earth, but in the new race there will not be any who have been reincarnated.

I want to stop now, so thanking you, I will say good night.

Your brother in Christ,

Goliath of whom men may think a mythical person. but who really lived and died, even though he may not have been killed by a slingshot of David, as the Bible relates, but yet a real living mortal who followed the ways of other mortals in sinning and dying and gone through hell and is at last redeemed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Message from Esau, son of Isaac 19 Jan 2014 19:59 #6282

• Joan
  • Joan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 50
Esau, son of Isaac, writes that Many Ancient Spirits Continue to Worship God, As They Did When on Earth received by James E. Padgett on December 4, 1916:

I am here, Esau, son of Isaac

I was the son of Isaac, and the brother of Jacob, and the one whom the Jews regarded as having sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. But I was misrepresented in this regard, as I did only that which necessity compelled me to do. But all that is long past.

I am now an inhabitant of the Celestial Heavens - for all things are made right in the world of spirits. And I became a possessor of the Divine Love, after I had received knowledge of its rebestowal at the coming of Jesus.

Many of the characters of the Old Testament have never yet realized this great transformation because, in their conception of self-righteousness, they are content in that conception. They worship God as they did on earth, although they have ceased to offer sacrifices of animals, because they have none in spirit life to offer. Yet they still have the belief that sacrifice is necessary, and in their imaginations, they offer what is symbolic of the offerings that they made in the earth life.

Yes, that is quite a natural supposition, but you must know that the mind and beliefs of mortals continue with them when they become spirits. Their beliefs will not permit them to be convinced of the errors of their conceptions of Deity, and many of these spirits of old are in that condition now. They refuse to believe, or even listen to, the truths of existence and their relationship to God, just as they did when on earth.

They have eyes, but they see not; and ears, but they hear not. And enveloped in the darkness of their beliefs, they decline to let in the light, or to permit the truths that are so apparent to others to illuminate their souls. A mind that is shut in by bigotry and intolerance is just as persistent after the mortal becomes a spirit, even though a change in its surroundings (what you might call its physical existence), and in its possibilities for learning the truth, has occurred. Many of these spirits, therefore, absolutely refuse to recognize any change or possibility of change in their spiritual condition.

It is not surprising that you may not understand how it is possible that these spirits of the kind mentioned could live all this great period of years, as you estimate time, in this condition surrounded by spirits who have found the Truth, and who display that possession in their appearances and happiness (and especially by some of their old associates who have entered into the light), and yet not be influenced by these appearances and the experiences of these associates. Nevertheless, it is true. And the difficulty of converting these bigoted spirits, seems to grow the greater as they advance in their progression of mind and natural love.

They are happy in a relative sense, and content in their estimate that they could not conceive of any other belief or cause of progress, that could bring greater happiness to them. Besides, they are firmly convinced that they are doing the Will of God in their manner of worship and in their symbolic sacrifices. These ancient spirits, as you call them, but who are young as compared to many in the Spiritual Spheres, have their synagogues and temples of worship. They also have their rabbis and servants and worshipers according to their old beliefs. And the ceremonies attending their gatherings for worship are very little different from what they were on earth.

They have all their vestments and attire and other accompaniments that distinguished them on earth from the common people. They say their prayers in public and delight in appearing as holy spirits, the specially chosen of God, just as they did on earth. And as they are developing more and more in their natural love, and taking on the condition of perfection, so far as the perfection of the first parents as they existed before the fall is concerned, they may remain in this condition of belief as to their relationship to God, and as to their proper and only way to worship Him, throughout all eternity.

They decline to receive the knowledge of the Truth of the New Birth. And as that is a thing that is optional with them, and its rejection does not prevent them from becoming the perfect man, as you have had explained to you, they think that there is no absolute necessity that they should be Born Again in order to enable a restoration of the harmony of that condition and relationship that they may have with the Father.

Of course, until the day of the Consummation of the Kingdom of the Celestial Spheres, they will have the opportunity to become recipients of the Divine Love and transformed into redeemed Angels. But it is doubtful if very many of them will ever elect to accept this great privilege.

I am glad that I could write to you tonight, as it is a new experience with me, but one that gives me great satisfaction. And I will come again, if agreeable to you, and write further.

In closing, I wish to say that I know the difference between the spirit who has the Divine Love in his soul, and one who has not, and that the mere time of a spirit's existence in the spirit world does not necessarily indicate that the spirit possesses the Divine Love. As Jesus said when on earth, "The first shall be last, and the last shall be first." And I may add that some will never be first or last, but only the reminders of what might have been.

I will not write more.

Your brother in Christ,
Esau

Please Log in to join the conversation.